Thursday, February 13, 2014

PTI 7th Anniversary Day 9: Building Blocks of Design

Oh my word, this was a frustrating challenge.  I felt like banging my head against the desk a few times.  To be honest, this was not my first roll.  I tried and tried to get the other one (or two) to work.  Really I did.  I about decided to forget this challenge altogether and just give up.  Instead, I rolled one more time.  Thank goodness it was one I could do!


Stamping is supposed to be fun, right?  I had a lot more fun playing in the snow with my kids.  :D  We got several inches yesterday and it snowed most of today as well.  Pretty awesome!  For the first time in years, we were able to make a full-size snowman!  It looks like a winter wonderland out there, and we're enjoying it thoroughly.  It doesn't happen often in North Carolina!

This challenge involved rolling a die for nine different building blocks - three color selections, a neutral color, an occasion, a technique, an embellishment, a fiber, and a sketch.  Six possibilities for each one.  Here's what I rolled:

1.  Hawaiian Shores
2.  Spring Rain
3.  New Leaf
4.  Vintage Cream
5.  Friends
6.  Watercoloring
7.  Rhinestones
8.  Ribbon

I cut an oval from cream-toned watercolor paper.  The flower image is made of three separate parts, and for each one, I inked the stamp and spritzed it with water.  It gives a watercolor look without pulling out a paintbrush and still retains some of the detail.  New Leaf for the leaves and stems, Spring Rain for the flowers, and Hawaiian Shores for the flower centers.  Then I stamped my sentiment on top of the flowers.

I textured the Spring Rain panel with the Linen & Canvas impression plate, adhering it to a Vintage Cream card base.  Once my flower oval was in place, I added three rhinestones above it and ribbon below it.  The card turned out very sweet.  You'll just have to pardon the indoor lighting yet again.  It's dark outside and snow is covering my usual spot anyway.  :)

(editing to add a better photo)


Stamps:  Reasons to Smile, Spiral Bouquet (Papertrey Ink)
Paper:  Vintage Cream, Spring Rain (Papertrey Ink); watercolor paper
Ink:  Spring Rain, Hawaiian Shores, New Leaf (Papertrey Ink); Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Misc:  Standard Ovals Large die (Spellbinders); Linen & Canvas impression plate (Papertrey Ink); rhinestones (Stampin' Up); ribbon 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not seeing the ones you struggled with, but this one is lovely. ;-) I love the soft beauty you were able to achieve with these colors. Well done - way to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!