Sunday, August 24, 2014

Stamp-a-Faire 2014: Ancient Rome Mock Mosiac

We got stuck on this challenge.  It took a lot more time than expected, and as a result, we have been behind on the challenges since.  It's a good thing that we have until Tuesday morning to post our cards!


I used the mosaic die included in the SAF Ancient Rome era collection to cut self-adhesive white fun foam to make our own custom stamp.  I adhered it to an old wood block.  Unfortunately, that meant that we couldn't see through the block to line it up properly.  The die isn't big enough to cover a card front, and you sure can't see where you've already stamped when you're using VersaMark ink!!

I stamped flowers from Filled With Joy, this year's exclusive SAF stamp set using the masking technique.  I also stamped leaves behind the flowers, using Simply Chartreuse ink, stamping off some of them to add depth.  Flower centers were done in Summer Sunrise ink.

After I finished my panel, I stamped over the whole thing in VersaMark ink with the mosaic stamp and then embossed it in clear embossing powder.  I think my pad is drying up because the powder didn't adhere cleanly.  It does add a more weathered look though!  I sponged over it all with Dark Chocolate ink for my "grout".

I trimmed the panel down and glued it to a Royal Velvet card base.  I also cut a Labels 22 shape with the same paper and embossed my sentiment, selectively stamping to change its orientation.

This technique was quite the experience.  I was getting pretty tense so my daughter turned on our 80's playlist to calm me down.  She said it would get us prepared for the 80's challenge!  lol  We didn't get that far today, but that's the one she's looking forward to the most!

I'll post Emily's card next.  You can see other cards for the challenge here.

Stamps:  Filled With Joy (Papertrey Ink)
Ink:  Dark Chocolate, Royal Velvet, Pure Poppy, Simply Chartreuse, Summer Sunrise (Papertrey Ink); VersaMark
Paper:  White, Royal Velvet
Misc:  white embossing powder, clear embossing powder, sponge, SAF Ancient Rome die (Papertrey Ink); Labels 22 die (Spellbinders); white fun foam

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you met with frustration on this challenge, but your card turned out great! Thanks for sticking with it and playing along!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!